Juan Fernandez-Barquin has always been a leader when it comes to our local community. He started his career as an attorney as an Assistant Public Defender in Palm Beach County, Florida. Afterwards, he moved back down to his native Miami where he worked at a private law firm, and then opened his own boutique law firm. In 2018 he was elected to represent West Kendall as a State Representative in Tallahassee. He proudly served and was subsequently reelected in 2020, and 2022, until Florida’s Governor appointed him in June 2023 as Clerk and Comptroller of Miami-Dade County. Fernandez-Barquin has an extensive background in economics and politics and always makes sure his constituents come first. He is married to the love of his life, Catalina Santaella, and has two rescue cats, Ghost and Tiger.
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics, cum laude, Florida International University, 2005
- Juris Doctor, American University College of Law, Washington, D.C., 2008
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce Leadership Miami graduate
- Hearing and Speech Center of Florida, Chairperson, Board of Directors
- Previously taught as an Adjunct Professor, Miami-Dade College
- Previously served on the Public Health Trust of Miami-Dade County, governing body of Jackson Health System
- Previously served on The Children’s Trust